Monday, July 14, 2008

Top Quality free software

Hey y'all,

I just thought I would post about the free software I use. I have tried so much software it is not even funny. This is what has stayed on my computer through the years, which has XP, though a lot also work great on Vista. My setup, which I mostly put together, and runs very good, though I do need a dual core system. I don't play games on it, so I just use a cheap video card.

Athlon 2400+ CPU
1 gig memory
Fx 5200 video card
1 40 gig WD HDD
1 60 gig WD HDD
Dual layer DVD burner
CD burner

And I'm behind a router. I don't get any virus' or spyware.

You can get these at Majorgeeks.com and all are free.

Security:

Anti-virus: Avira's AntiVir. Hands down this is my favorite. I have used them all. They have a free and paid version, though the free is fine. Easy to use and setup, very light on resources, and it catches just about everything. I set mine to scan at 3 am everyday. They update the definitions all of the time.

Spybot Search and Destroy: I have read stuff on the internet where people say it is old and useless. BS, I say. The guard alone is great if you insist on running Internet Explorer 7.

SpywareBlaster: Excellent job at keeping the bad guys out, works for Firefox and IE.

Scotty the Watchdog: This is really good for controlling what starts when Windows boots. The free version is great, and there is a paid version also.

Firewall: I also use a software firewall, and I use Sygate 5.6 personal firewall. Simple to use and works flawlessly. I don't even know it is running.

Browsers:
Firefox, Seamonkey, Avant

Audio and video playback:
All you need is K-Lite mega codec pack and VLC Player.

Images: All you need here is The Gimp and Paint.net. No need to buy Photoshop.

Other stuff:

7 Zip - for zip files, works super
Core FTP Lite - FTP Client, I like it better than Filezilla
Foxit Reader- PDF Reader
Adobe 9 - another PDF reader
Seamonkey - also a great HTML editor, also great for e-mail
CCleaner - keep your system clean
Regcompact.net - compacts different registry hives
Ashampoo Burning Studio - My favorite, and yes, I have used them all. Free if you know where to look.
Vigos site map maker - fast and easy to use, makes a perfect xml sitemap.

I have a bunch of other things, which are not things that everyday people use, like a lot of internet marketing software.

Tim
--------

No comments: